Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Not the Sharpest knife

"The doors flew open. Did the doors have wings and literally fly open, like they were something out of Harry Potter? Is this a Fantasy story you’re writing, where the doors sprout wings and fly?"
"It’s not a Fantasy story; it’s just a figure of speech for god’s sake. I don’t mean the doors can literally fly. I mean what I said; the doors flew open and three armed men burst into the room. I asked you to join me for coffee so I could go over the story I’ve prepared for my writer’s group tonight. That’s only the first line, quit being such a dick. I’m nervous enough about tonight. This is the only writers group that I’ve ever tried to join."
"I’m not trying to be a dick, man. I’m just playing devil’s advocate. You’re the writer. The only reading I do lately is on a cereal box in the morning, and that's only if my IPhone is out of juice. You say flew and I picture a door with wings. You say the doors burst open and I see them exploding open like punctured balloons. Doors opening suddenly with vigor, I see doors opening quickly, but I’m a simple man. I get pictures in my head when I read, that’s why I watch television and go to the movies. It cuts out the middleman and it’s less confusing."
Dan sighed deeply and added wearily. "I guess continuing along in that vein, in the next line; three armed men burst into the room, you will picture armed men literally, as bursting balloons, spewing blood and guts all over the place or water bursting through a crack in a dam. Is that what you see Jerry?"
"Hell no! What do you take me for an idiot? I see men running into the room quickly but the water bursting through a dam is a possiblity. There is one thing though that puzzles me; do the men all have three arms?"