Saturday, August 9, 2014

A Cowboy Romance

It was 8:30 before Easy walked into the Stampede wind-up dance. He had been debating all day if he would attend it at all this year, but he was not looking forward to returning home and having to face the hard decisions that awaited him there. He had not placed in any of his events. He was depending on that money to buy feed for the horses this winter. The future of his little ranch in the foothills of Alberta never looked bleaker.

 The only thing that Easy accomplished was winning the ‘Guy Weader Memorial Award’ for the competitor that best embodies what the cowboy stands for. Although it was a great honor, Easy couldn't help feeling that it was awarded to him as a consolation for finishing out of the money for the first time in many years. The irony of receiving the award had not escaped him because, at the present moment, his ranch and the cowboy way of life were in serious danger of disappearing off into the sunset.

 Easy made his way to the bar, weaving through the crowd of friends and acquaintances who in many ways were the only family he had. Tough luck old man! Better luck next year. Congrats on the GWM. Each slap on the back, each shake of the hand, each hug, was a painful reminder of his failure to produce when he needed to the most. After what seemed like hours he finally made it to the bar and sat down, only to find that the bartender had seen him coming and slid an ice cold ‘Canadian’ in front of him before he could tilt his hat back. Easy gave him a wide grin and the bottle salute. He then proceeded to pour the beer down his throat in one pull. He knew that the first one was on the house. He wouldn't get to taste much of it, but it was a little brown Band-Aid to cover his bleeding soul. The first of many he would need tonight.
 "Buy a Lady a beer?” came a voice that made his heart skip a beat. Easy turned and looked into the coal-black eyes of Beryl Macpherson.

 "Wh- wh-where have you been? I d-d-didn't think that you were here this year.” he stammered, he always did when he was around her.

 "That's because you have been looking in all the wrong places, Cowboy,” she said. I am chaperoning Reba, guarding her from all the randy young cowboys. It's her first Rodeo and I'm hoping that it doesn't get into her blood because I'm getting too old to be following her all around Hell's half acre, trying to keep her out of trouble. Like my father did for me, not that it did him any good.” “Beryl, I apologize for not attending Don’s funeral, but I was in Argentina trying to broker a deal for some horses. By the time that I heard about it, it was over. When I got back and found out that he had been fighting cancer for the past two years, I was too ashamed to call. I should have been a better friend. I should have known.” Don and Easy grew up together and from the first day, of the first grade at the ‘Canyon Elementary School’, they were friends. A scuffle for the seat nearest to the exit at the back of the room was all it took to weld the two boys together
in a friendship so tight, Huck and Tom would be jealous. They were inseparable in every way and they were each other’s fiercest competitors. They competed in everything: quarterback of the football team, goalie of the hockey team; who could run faster, jump higher, throw farther… even who could pee farther. It didn’t matter who won or lost because whoever did come out on top, the other would be his number one supporter. Of course, being sons of rancher’s, learning to ride almost anything with four legs and roping anything that moved was the main focus of their youth. They were introduced to Rodeo at a young age and by the time they were seventeen, they were competing in some of the biggest rodeos in Alberta and Saskatchewan. At nineteen, they were following the Pro circuit in the U.S and Canada. They traveled together and shared expenses. Oddly enough, they even pooled their winnings. The only thing they didn’t share was the trophies; that’s how they kept score. That’s where they met Beryl. She was Beryl Mackay at the time, daughter of one of the biggest ranchers in Saskatchewan. Easy was the first to see her because, in his down time, he enjoyed taking in the other events. Don was either sleeping or chatting up one of the cowboy groupies. Easy was sitting on a rail watching the Barrel races, the only female event in the Rodeo, when this red-headed vision on a chestnut mare flew out of the gate. Normally Easy would have his eye on the horse, but this time he couldn’t keep his eyes off the young rider with the flaming red hair. Easy may have been the first to see her, but he wasn’t the first to speak to her because that wasn’t within Easy’s nature. He pointed her out to Don one day in the canteen. Don led them over to her table, sat down and introduced himself. Black-eyed Beryl mesmerized them with her beauty and enthusiasm. Before they had finished their soup, the dynamic duo became the terrible trio. Whenever they found themselves at the same Rodeo, they would hang out together and get into whatever mischief they could. Beryl became adept at sneaking out at nights so that they could go dancing and drinking. They would often go to the countryside to lie on a blanket and look at the stars, while listening to Country music. It was in the off-season, when Beryl wasn’t around, that Easy realized how much he missed her. He decided that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He ordered a 14K white gold, twisted love knot engagement ring and had the diamond replace with a heart-shaped ruby to symbolize his love for her. He planned to ask her to marry him the next time they met. He tried many times to ask her throughout the following season, but found that lack of nerve and opportunity always seemed to get in the way. The last stop on the circuit was Las Vegas and Easy knew that he had to man up and ask her, no matter what. He rode wild bulls and bucking broncs for God’s sake, surely he could work up enough nerve to ask a little girl to marry him. As bad luck or fate would have it, a horse called ‘Skypilot’ jammed him into the gate while coming out of the chute and broke his leg in two places. He was rushed to the hospital and had his leg operated on the next morning. It was evening before he was allowed any visitors. Don and Beryl came bouncing into the room. He thought that they seemed overly happy to see him and, as it turned out, he thought right. Beryl flashed her finger, which was adorned with a ‘Davidoff’ cigarillo band. “Donald asked me to marry him while we were waiting for you to get out of surgery and I accepted. Isn’t that great news?” “There’s a tear in your eye Easy are you in pain? Should I call the nurse?” “No, I’m not in pain. I’m just happy for the both of you…congratulations.” “Are you listening to me Easy? You seem miles away.” “I’m sorry Beryl. I was still thinking of Don. I did visit his grave, several times in fact, since I got back.” “I know you did Easy. I found remnants of favorite cigars at the gravesite. I imagine you sat there and had a few drinks and a chat. “You have got to stop feeling guilty, Easy. Donald didn’t tell you because he didn’t want you to see him sickly and weak. Not that he ever was weak; he was the strongest man I knew. He loved you Easy. He talked about you all the time, especially near the end.” Easy bowed his head. “I was a fool Beryl. I should have forgiven him for something that happened a long time ago, something that wasn’t his fault but mine. I should have been a better friend.” The din in the room made normal conversation almost impossible. You had to practically shout to be heard. Beryl put a hand on his shoulder, leaned forward, and spoke into his ear; “I’m sorry Easy, but I can hardly make out what you said. Could we go outside for some fresh air? I need to talk to you.” Easy nodded and led her outside into a courtyard. There were a few people milling around and socializing, by the door, but there was an empty bench in the far corner, under an arbor. Beryl sat down, crossed her legs, and looked up at the stars. “I remember these dances to be more fun. I must be getting old.” Before he could respond, she turned and looked at his profile. He’s still the best looking man at the ball, regardless of his age. She took a deep breathe and announced, “I sold the ranch.” “You sold the ranch? It’s been in your family for generations.” “It’s too big for me to manage by myself. I’m an only daughter with only a daughter to pass it on to, and she doesn’t want it. She wants to be a veterinarian. I know it’s a legacy and was passed on to me, but Donald ran it the same way my Father did. I would like to try and build something of my own. Besides, an offer was made that I would have been crazy not to accept.” “What are you planning on doing with this windfall? Are you planning on leaving the prairies for the big city or some island paradise?” She chuckled. “Me? I’m too much the redneck girl for the city. I would suffocate amongst all those people. “When Donald was near the end, I drove out to your place to tell you that, if you wanted to see Don one last time, you had better come soon, but you were still in South America. There was an old man there. He said that he had dropped by to make sure the young men you had hired to look after things while you were away, were doing their job.” “Are you talking about my neighbor, Dave Larmer?” “Yes. I had a long conversation with him. He invited me back to his place for lunch. He’s a very interesting character. He told me he was thinking about selling his ranch and going to live with his son in Wyoming. He has a couple of grandchildren he wants to see grow up. I asked him to call me before he did anything.” “Wow! I had no idea he was planning to sell out. He never said anything to me about it; he must be extra chatty with the ladies. If I had the money I would buy his property in a heartbeat. It borders my ranch to the north and a Provincial park on the west. If that’s not enough, one of the best trout streams in Alberta runs through his property. It’s all natural spring-fed water and loaded with brown trout. I go fly fishing with him in the fall… that is, I used to. If he sells out and moves, that will be one more thing that I cherish lost to me. It seems to be the story of my life. Maybe I should go and talk to him. He may have changed his mind, or maybe I can work out a deal with the bank and him.” “Apparently, it’s too late. He has already sold the property to someone who wants to set up a guest ranch.” Easy bowed his head. A hangdog look overtook his face. He was totally deflated and defeated and looked to be on the verge of tears. “Easy, one of the things I wanted to talk to you about is that I bought the property. I’m the one who wants to set up a working guest ranch. It’s been a dream of mine for a very long time and I would like you to help me. No, let me re-phrase that, I need you to help me.” It took a minute for what Beryl had said to sink in but, when it did, he jumped and danced around like a schoolboy does when the final bell rings before summer holidays. “You bought the ranch? You!... We’ll be neighbors. That’s the best news I’ve had in a long, long time.” “Did you hear me when I said ‘I will need you’? I want it to be a working guest ranch with prime Alberta stock and horses. I need you to find some trail horses, gentle and easy to ride. I would also like to set up a western riding school and I know of no one better to teach, than the winner of the Guy Weader award. That is if you agree.” “Agree? Of course I agree. I can’t believe this is happening. I would love to be a part of your dream.” “O.K., but you may change your mind when I tell you that I’m leaving for Europe and the Far East by the end of the month. It’s part holiday and part business. Reba is taking the year off school and accompanying me. She and I have had a long stressful year and we need to decompress and relax; besides I have never been to Europe. I’m looking forward to it. And while we are there, we will hunt down as many travel agents as we can to pitch the ranch as a fantasy holiday destination. “The brunt of the work is going to fall on you. We need new bunkhouses, new stables and training facilities. I’ve hired an architect and a contractor, but I need you to oversee the project. If you’re still up for it, meet me at the bank tomorrow and I’ll set you up with signing authority. We have a couple of weeks to go over the details. Oh, before I forget, I would like to board a few horses at your ranch for the winter. You can take money out of the account for their feed, as well as your own.” Easy looked at her and was about to object when Beryl cut him off. “Don’t say anything Easy. The cost of feed will not make up for the work that I require you to do.” “Beryl I don’t know what to say.” “Just say yes, Easy.” “Yes, of course I’ll help. I can’t wait to get started.” “Good. Now I have to go and track down that daughter of mine and call it a night. I must be getting old because it’s only 11:30 and I’m looking for my bed.” She got up and turned to face Easy. She looked him in the eyes. “One last piece of business before I exit the ball…” She reached into her purse and withdrew a small blue satin gift box and handed it to Easy. “What’s this?” He took the box in his large calloused hand. “Don told me all about it before he died. I still feel guilty for the way I reacted, but I was angry and hurt. Men are such idiots, especially the two of you. Why didn’t you ask me Easy? Why didn’t you say something when we came to the hospital, that day? Why?” Easy looked down and opened the box. He was looking at the engagement ring that he had purchased and gifted to Don as a wedding present, many years ago. “This is yours Beryl. This is your engagement ring.” “No Easy, it’s your engagement ring. The next time you give it away make sure it’s to someone you love and want to spend the rest of your life with.” She turned and walked back towards the pavilion. She reached into her bag and withdrew a tissue and wiped the tears away.